Seminar on "Current Challenges in Unfair Competition Law"
The Seminar was offered for advanced students in cooperation with Prof. Mäsch (Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, Münster). A brief report can be found here (available only in German).
Virtues and Consumer Law: 15th International Conference on Consumer Law, Amsterdam (NiederLande)
Mrs. Carmen Appenzeller gave a lecture on "Combatting Unfair Terms in the EU: Tilting at windmills?" at the conference "Virtues and Consumer Law: 15th International Conference on Consumer Law" in Amsterdam on July, 1.
2nd Yale - Humboldt Consumer Law Lecture 2015
In June 2015, the Yale-Humboldt Consumer Law Lecture was held for the second time at Humboldt-University Berlin.
The invitation and the programm are available:
Conference "10 Jahre UGP-Richtlinie: Erfahrungen und Perspektiven"
The conference "10 Jahre UGP-Richtlinie: Erfahrungen und Perspektiven" on the occasion of 10 years Unfair Commercial Practices Directive took place in the senate hall of the Humboldt-University of Berlin on May, 7 and May, 8. The conference was hosted by Mrs. Prof. Dr. Susanne Augenhofer LL.M. (Yale) and Mr. Prof. Dr. Christian Alexander (Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena).
Self-Regulation and the Interface of Consumer Protection and Corporate Governance
Mrs. Prof. Dr. Susanne Augenhofer LL.M. (Yale) held a lecture on April, 16 at the Yale Law School.
Humboldt-Helmholtz Lecture on Sunday: faster, safer, more individual - so geht Fortbewegung morgen
Autonome Fahrzeuge aus juristischer Perspektive
Mrs. Carmen Appenzeller talked about the future of driving vehicles and the juristic prospect on March, 15.
Find more Informations here
Frau Appenzeller, 15.03.2015, Audimax HU Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Augenhofer, LL.M. (Yale) and Prof. Dr. Alexander kindly invite you to the conference "10 Years Unfair Commercial Practices Directive: Experiences and Perspectives". Please note that the conference is held in german. For further information click here.
- Guest lecture with Dr. Murza, Federal Minstery for Economic Affairs and Energy (Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie)
10 Febraury 2015, 15:00
At the end of the current winter term Dr. Maja Murza visited the lecture "European and German Competition Law". Her presentation on vertical restraints of competition in online distribution networks gave exciting insights into the competiton practice. Her lecture lead on to a discussion among the students and Dr. Murza on the competitivness of online and traditional distribution networks. Finally the students were encouraged to speak with her on the implementation of the new EU-directive on cartel damages.
Dr. Maja Murza
- The Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic at the Long Night of the Sciences („Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften“):
On 10 May 2014, the Long Night of the Sciences took place at the Humboldt University where the Humboldt Law Clinics presented their innovative teaching concept to interested visitors. Participants of the Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic and the Humboldt Law Clinic Internetrecht discussed cases of flight delays and defamation on the Internet. More information on the Humboldt Consumer Law Clinics was supplied by illustrative posters. We would like to thank all participants for their support regarding the organization of this event!
- Study visit from a delegation of the Supreme Court of Kazakhstan. On 4 November 2013, a delegation of the Supreme Court of Kazakhstan, under the guidance of Mr. Nikolai Mamontow (Presiding Judge at the Supreme Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan), met with representatives of the Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic (HCLC) to hear about the activities of the HCLC and to discuss the state of consumer law in Germany. For more details (in German) click here.
- Guest Lecture on "Civil Law – General Part" at Tongji-University, Shanghai. Prof. Dr. Augenhofer has been invited as a guest lecturer to the Tongji-University, Shanghai where from 23 September to 27 September 2013 she has lectured on "Civil Law – General Part".
Participants can download material from the lecture in German here (password needed):
- The second part of the seminar on "Issues in Commercial Law from a Comparative Perspective: Consumer ans Antitrust Law in the 21st Century" took place in Israel from 29 July to 31 July 2013. We would again like to thank again all participants and in particular our hosts from the Haim Striks School of Law (Rishon Le Zion, Israel) for the interesting discussions and their warm hospitality.
The picture was taken at the Supreme Court of Israel, and shows the participants together with Supreme Court Justice Dr. Elyakim Rubinstein.
- We would like to thank all participants of the seminar on "Issues in Commercial Law from a Comparative Perspective: Consumer and Antitrust Law in the 21st Century", which took place in Berlin from 3 June 2013 to 5 June 2013. We are looking forward to the study trip to Israel (29-31 July 2013) where we will meet the students of the Haim Striks School of Law for the second part of the workshop.
- On 23 May 2013 Prof. Dr. Augenhofer chaired the panel discussion on "Comparing Fields and Drawing Common Lessons on Collective Remedies in EU Law – Economic Law". The panel discussion took place in the course of the Jean Monnet Conference "One for all and all for one? The role of collective actors in enforcing European Law", which was organised by the Hertie School of Governance.
- On 11 April 2013 Prof. Dr. Augenhofer was invited by Tulane Law School (New Orleans, USA) to give a presentation on "Collective Redress in European Antitrust and Consumer Law".
- On 4 April 2013 Prof. Dr. Augenhofer gave a presentation on "The Proposal for a Common European Sales Law" at Cornell Law School (Ithaca, USA).
- Ms Juliane Reschke, student assistant to Prof. Dr. Augenhofer, competed in the Willem C. Vis Moot Court in Hong Kong and Vienna, in which 93 and 296 universities from all over the world participated respectively. In Hong Kong, the HU Team was ranked among the best eight teams, and in Vienna, it came in third in the overall competition (together with the team from Ottawa University). Ms Reschke furthermore received an honourable mention in the competition for best individual speaker. We wish congratulate the HU-Team and Ms Reschke for their excellent achievements.
- On 22 February 2013, the conference "Die Umsetzung der Verbraucherrechte-Richtlinie sowie 1 Jahr Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic" (The implementation of the Consumer Rights Directive and one year of Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic) took place. For the invitation, click here. Pictured below you can see the participants of the panel discussion (Prof. Dr. Schmidt-Räntsch, Dr. Schwab, Ms Gurkmann) as well as the group of participating students, together with Prof. Dr. Augenhofer, Prof. Dr. Kämper-van den Boogaart and Prof. Dr. Singer.
- Legal Tribune online reported on the Humboldt Consumer Clinic in an article which you can find here.
- The "Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (giz)" invited Prof. Dr. Augenhofer to serve as an expert during a workshop on the reform of the Chinese consumer protection law. The workshop took place on 05 and 06 December 2012 in Enchi, China.
- Guest Lecture on "Civil Law – General Part" at Tongji-University, Shanghai. As guest lecturer at the Tongji-University of Shanghai from 24 to 27 Septmeber 2012 Prof. Dr. Augenhofer gave lectures on "Civil Law – General Part".
The material from the lecturers is available to the participants here (password needed):
- Introductory lecture
- Sheets - monday 24/09/2012
- Sheets - tuesday 25/09/2012
- Sheets - thursday 27/09/2012
- The 69th German Jurists Forum (Deutscher Juristentag, DJT) took place in Munich from 18 to 21 September 2012. The civil law committee examined the topic “Do Consumers and Businesses Need a New Architecture of Consumer Law?“. In a seminar organised by Prof. Dr. Augenhofer, which took place in the semester preceding the conference, 8 students prepared their own statements based on a report by Prof. Micklitz (EUI Florence). At the DJT, the participating students had the opportunity to present their theses on posters and to debate with the rapporteur Prof. Dr. Micklitz (EUI Florence) as well as with Prof. Kieninger, Judge Ball and Dr. Kessel, who were the other speakers of the civil law committee.
The students' posters as well as their handouts cam be found here:
Poster: Is the Consumer Law a special private law?
Poster: Law enforcement models in Consumer Law
Below is a group photo of students of the Humboldt-University to Berlin as well as a photo of them in discussion with Prof. Dr. Micklitz:
- On 25 JUly 2012 Prof. Dr. Augenhofer gave a presentation on “Recent Case Law in European Consumer Law” during the International Summer School of the Consiglio Nazionale Forense on Alternative Dispute Resolution. The handout is available to participants of the presentation here.
- We would like to thank all the participants of the Seminar on “Antitrust, Unfair Competition, Trademarks: Exploring the Boundaries", held at the European University Institute Florence for their interesting contributions and dedication during the trip.
- Mr Stephan Rauch, student assistant to Prof. Dr. Augenhofer, competed in the Willem C. Vis Moot Court in Vienna in which about 300 teams from all over the world participated. The memorandum submitted by the HU-Team was judged to be among the best 16. Mr Rauch furthermore received an honourable mention for best individual speaker. We wish to congratulate the HU-Team and Mr Rauch for their excellent achievements!
- On 03 April 2012, Prof. Dr. Augenhofer was interviewed about “pricing agreements between gas stations” by the ZDF-Morgenmagazin. You can access the ZDF-Morgenmagazin interview (in German) here.
- The Danish EU Council Presidency invited Prof. Dr. Augenhofer to deliver a lecture on “The Need for a Coherent Approach to Collective Redress?” on 22 March 2012. The presentation was held during the “Conference on Collective Redress” in Copenhagen.
- On 16 March 2012, Prof. Dr. Augenhofer gave a presentation on “The Future of Consumer Law” and, together with Prof. Dr. Singer, launched the Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic during a symposium entitled “Kennedy – 50 Years and the Inauguration of the Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic”.
(Prof. Dr. Augenhofer, together with Prof. Dr. Singer and Prof. Dr. Kämper-van den Boogaart, vice-president of the Humboldt-University, after the inauguration of the Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic)
- On 15 March 2012, Prof. Dr. Augenhofer gave a presentation on "Protection of the Consumer or of the Weaker Party? - Some Thoughts on the Scope of Application of Consumer Laws" during the Conference "Consumer Law: The First Fifty Years" in Utrecht.
- On 13 March 2012, Prof. Dr. Augenhofer was interviewed on Kulturradio RBB about the Humboldt Consumer Law Clinic.
- On 13 March 2012, Prof. Dr. Detlef Leenen held a lecture on "The interpretation of Directives and compliant interpretation of national law" (in German) in the course “European contract law”.
- We would like to thank all participants of the Study trip to Brussels (21 to 24 November 2011) for their active contribution, interesting discussions and the time spent together.
- Ms Sophia Heckschen, student assistant to Prof. Dr. Augenhofer, interviewed the Federal Minister of Justice Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger. The interview was published in the magazine "freischuss" and is available here (in German).
- On 23 May 2011, Prof. Dr. Augenhofer gave a speech at the workshop “Reforming the Private Law of Unfair Commercial Practices”. The workshop was organised by Professor Collins and took place at the LSE in London.
- On 28 April 2011, the Theodor Körner-Fonds for the promotion of science and arts awarded Prof. Dr. Augenhofer the 2011 Theodor Körner Award in Vienna.
(Prof. Dr. Susanne Augenhofer with the Austrian Federal President after the ceremony)
- On 14 January 2011, Prof. Dr. Augenhofer gave a presentation on “A European Civil Law – for Whom and What Should it Include? – Reflections on the Scope of Application” at the conference “A European Optional Contract Law Policy Choices”. The Conference was organised by the Society of European Contract Law (SECOLA) and took place in Leuven. The presentation was published in ERCL April 2011.
- Prof. Dr. Augenhofer contributed to the Max Planck Working Group on Auditor Independence. On 10 December 2010, the Working Group published its comment on the EU Green Paper “Audit Policy: Lessons from the Crisis” (COM(2010) 561 final of 13.10.2010). Read more about the working group here. The working group's comment is available here.
- On 14 and 15 October 2010, Prof. Dr. Augenhofer contributed to a workshop in Kunming (China) on unfair competition law. The workshop was organized in the framework of the EU-China Project on the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR2). More information about the workshop and Prof. Dr. Augenhofer’s presentation is available here.
- On 13 July 2010, Prof. Dr. Augenhofer presented the following briefing papers at the European Parliament in Brussels: